Thursday, April 09, 2009

What Would Hank Do?

I don't try to be a tricky razz player - pretty straight forward. You get a lot of action from people drawing with face cards up on 4th and 5th so why bother? The only thing I do on a occasion is try to "bet through" a card or two behind me when there are a lot of high cards out to take down the bring-in and antes.

In this hand the straight-forward answer on 4th is just fold.

PokerStars Game #26909700473: Tournament #200904151, $40+$4 8-Game (Razz Limit) - Level XX (400/800) - 2009/04/09 17:24:19 ET
Table '200904151 138' 6-max
Seat 1: marty310 (12346 in chips)
Seat 2: bobvegàs (8476 in chips)
Seat 3: JackJoker (7932 in chips)
Seat 4: charly441 (13015 in chips)
Seat 5: brf007 (5428 in chips)
Seat 6: KidGrind61 (12594 in chips)
JackJoker: posts the ante 80
charly441: posts the ante 80
brf007: posts the ante 80
KidGrind61: posts the ante 80
marty310: posts the ante 80
bobvegàs: posts the ante 80
*** 3rd STREET ***
Dealt to marty310
spade

Dealt to bobvegàs
spade

Dealt to JackJoker
spade spade spade

Dealt to charly441
spade
Dealt to brf007
spade
Dealt to KidGrind61
spade
JackJoker: brings in for 120
charly441: calls 120
brf007: calls 120
KidGrind61: folds
marty310: folds
bobvegàs: folds

So I have no interest in this hand. I expected a raise somewhere and of course I insta-fold. But, no raise. A limp right behind me and another stragler.

*** 4th STREET ***
Dealt to JackJoker
spade spade spade spade
Dealt to charly441
spade spade
Dealt to brf007
spade spade
charly441: bets 400
brf007: folds

Now I'm suspicious. He limped right behind the bring-in but this isn't usually a game where people get tricky and go for a limp-re-raise. So, if he had a great hand why limp behind and then come out firing? It seems most likely that he's just betting his board, which with my ten up and the other straggler catching a jack, is a good play. If he has 87 down, about the best I can hope for, I'm still 44%. I decided to take a card off and see if he bricked and if I catch.

JackJoker: calls 400
*** 5th STREET ***
Dealt to JackJoker
spade spade spade spade spade
Dealt to charly441

spadespade spade
charly441: bets 800

Not according to plan. I catch but so does he. If I put him 87 I know I'm a favorite because I'm drawing to a smooth 8, but I can't call one bet. If I call 5th I have to run this out and likely call 2400, not easy with my stack. The other problem is he could have a 9 made and be drawing to a 7 - I could improve and still lose. I didn't know the exact numbers at the time but I knew it wasn't good (I would be 31% if he's drawing to a 7). I decided to fold because I didn't want to call-off 2400 with my stack, and I felt like if I called here I had to commit to the hand.

JackJoker: folds
Uncalled bet (800) returned to charly441
charly441 collected 1640 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1640 | Rake 0
Seat 1: marty310 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 2: bobvegàs folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 3: JackJoker folded on the 5th Street
Seat 4: charly441 collected (1640)
Seat 5: brf007 folded on the 4th Street
Seat 6: KidGrind61 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)


Probably the best play was just fold on fourth when he bet. He could be making a move but why would he limp after the bring-in with less than an 8-draw on third? Again, I'm a slight favorite if he has exactly 87 buried. If he manages to have one of the two remaining sixes I'm a three-to-one dog. By the numbers, I could take off a card and hope to hit my 8 and that he bricks hard. I didn't realize it at the time, but if I hit a 3,4,6, or 7 and he hits a ten or pairs (visibly or otherwise) then the hand is over and I have it won. Of course, I didn't realize that at the time, and in any event I had seen three of my outs folded already.

2 comments:

millencolin7 (Hank) said...

I am replying to this post as requested by Bearded Mike with an email to me that says please comment on this hand "it may not be as straight forward as you think".

I read through the analysis very carefully and my reply is short and sweet, I would have folded on 4th because you were behind.

What I hate about Razz is even if your cards under are awesome, they see the 9, THEY know the best you can have and they either got it or they don't, but every time you call a bet you it makes your stomach hurt because you are not sure, 50% of the time you look like the man because you called him down and flip over a hand that barely wins, the other 50% of the time you get proper'ed, and that is a new word to euphemize the saying from Snatch....

So to prevent an ulcer or felting myself, I simply fold...

Bearded Mike said...

"I knew you would say that..."