Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Baklava-esque Tournament

One that lasts forever for a little bit of money. This one ended the hand after I went out third, so almost four hours long.

This is a strange game. Right before it started I worked out some of the math in Excel and played a lot tighter than the first two times I tried it. This game also is made for snowing.

Most of my bluffs were pre-draw steals but I picked up on some really good spots for the future. One is when both you and an opponent draw one and you have position and the first draw is checked. If you have a really good three card hand (say, to a 6) and you both draw one the second time and don't improve, it's a good spot to bet and then if your opponent calls-draws (common) stand pat. If you draw and miss often you'll face a bet and you may have the best hand, but tough to call when you brick. When you stand pat it's very unlikely you'll have a bet on the end unless someone holds a strong Badugi. So, rapping pat gives up your 10% to 17% chance of improving but it's much more likely you get to a showdown with no further betting and a strong three-card hand.

Anyway, I figured this out as soon as I bet and then broke and faced a bet on the end. Also if you have a good three-card hand and you're both drawing one, really you should be betting in position. In my case it was late in the tourney, blinds were huge, and it was pot limit so I risked getting blown off the hand and checked after the first draw for pot control. I bet after the second fairly sure I had the best draw. Unfortunately I went for on the end and faced a big bet and decided to fold. That's when rapping-pat and checking down occured to me as an interesting play.

No comments: